Author Topic: How to train for walking up hill, walking on uneven surfaces, etc.?  (Read 4144 times)

teo

This question is for AK amputee.

I've been practicing on my golf swings and I feel like I can go play a round of golf except I am intimidated by different terrains of the golf course I will have to face.  I have hard time walking up or down even the gentle slope and I am wondering if there is any training or exercise I can do.

Any suggestion would be helpful.  Thanks.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Teo, most golf coarses that i have been on allow you to take your golf cart right up to were your ball lays once they know that you are an amputee and have problems walking, all three around wear i live allows us amputees to do this, as long as we are carefully when driving in the fairways.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
I'd say your best bet is to stay in as good of physical condition as you can.  The better your endurance, the easier walking uphill will be.   

However, there are promising products being developed!  I was recently at a prosthetic tradeshow and saw two feet that include an ankle that are being tested right now!   One was microprocessor controlled (not the Proprio).  The video showed someone walking up and down rocky hills and his ankle reacted just like his real one!    The other one was even of more interest to me.  It's not a microprocessor, but uses hydraulics.  The man who demo'd it for me says it has absolutely changed his life (more than the intelligent knee he was wearing) and there is no way he would give it back!   He said going up and down hills is a breeze now, and that was very evident when he walked up and down a ramp.  I want one!!!!
That particular foot/ankle is scheduled to be released next January.   
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
Teo,

The microprocessor foot is being developed by College Park, and the hydraulic one I saw demonstrated is by Endolite.  Not sure when the College Park one will be ready for market, but Endolite says theirs will be out in early 2009.   I'm interested in the Endolite because I figure less can go wrong with the hydraulics.  They guy demonstrating was wearing the Endolite Adaptive.

I wear the Plie' knee and agree with you that it would be great to have a locking option for things such as golf.  I used to roller blade when I had my C-leg, but can't do it with this one.  But I wouldn't trade the function I now have for that option.  I am hoping that the next generation will add the locking option and then we'll have the best of both worlds!   :)
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Hi Teo - The best way to get good function on hills is to get out on the hills and spend lots and lots of time going up and down. Once you are comfortable with your balance and you develop some strength, start carrying heavy items up and down. It is not your equipment that is going to make uneven terrain or golf easy, it is you and your perseverance. Good Luck, Herb

Offline Annie

• View Profile
Hi Teo - The best way to get good function on hills is to get out on the hills and spend lots and lots of time going up and down. Once you are comfortable with your balance and you develop some strength, start carrying heavy items up and down. It is not your equipment that is going to make uneven terrain or golf easy, it is you and your perseverance. Good Luck, Herb

I was going to say exactly the same thing. Going back a few years now when I first started out on this, don't remember actually training to do anything, I was a teenager trying to keep up with my friends and just tried to do what they were doing.  I live in a fairly hilly area, so once i was out and about there were hills to climb.  Just keeping having a go at the things you would do normally, and try not to think about it too much., I am sure you will soon learn to balance your body and your strength will build up.

teo

thank you all for your suggestions. ^^  i guess everything just takes time and practice.

Offline lion_king

• Wife is an RAK amp after car accident in 2007.
    • View Profile
Re: How to train for walking up hill, walking on uneven surfaces, etc.?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 05:16:02 AM »
Robogirl, I've just joined this forum and found many useful info. My wife is a RAK and she will get a new MPC knee before the end of this year, most likely a c-leg. You said that you are wearing a PLIE knee, except the locking system, looks like the new PLIE knee by FREEDOM is better than c-leg, do you mind to give me more feedbacks? Our main concern is the weight of the whole prosthesis, the PLIE knee claims to be 2.3lbs, is a c-leg much heavier than a PLIE knee? Thank you.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 04:38:33 PM »
Hey Teo, good to see u again!

If you're golfing, look into getting a Torsion adaptor (e.g. Endolite TT Pro; Otto Bock DeltaTwist; Ossur TotalShock) These things make it much easier to rotate your foot and improve your swing. They also give shock absorption when walking on difficult terrain.

The new Dynamic foot from Endolte is looking fantastic - I saw a guy who was Throuh Hip striding up a hill like he was walking through WallMart! Don't know the name of it or release date yet though -will keep you informed.

snowbear

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 05:05:54 PM »
Hello Teo!