Author Topic: ..  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: My CP's $100,000 Lexus
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
Teo and Others:

Am I missing something here?  When I go to my CP, I'm going for a prosthesis.  And I hope and believe I have a good competent CP.  I'm not checking out behind the shop to see who owns which car.  For all I know, the Mercedes may belong to the secretary -  who knows?  Who cares?

I've known wealthy people who drive very modest cars.  I've known people driving fancy cars who probably can't afford 'em.  Go figure.

Side note:  While traveling in Copenhagen, I noticed the taxi we were in was a very fine Mercedes.  When I mentioned it to the driver, he said, "This is my office, I spend all day in it.  It might as well be comfortable and clean, right?"

When all is said and done, judging a person by his/her car can be misleading.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dave 08

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »
You didnt mention the color of the Lexus.  Green is my guess.
Dave

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 11:40:16 PM »
Teo and Others:

Am I missing something here?  When I go to my CP, I'm going for a prosthesis.  And I hope and believe I have a good competent CP.  I'm not checking out behind the shop to see who owns which car.  For all I know, the Mercedes may belong to the secretary -  who knows?  Who cares?

I've known wealthy people who drive very modest cars.  I've known people driving fancy cars who probably can't afford 'em.  Go figure.

Side note:  While traveling in Copenhagen, I noticed the taxi we were in was a very fine Mercedes.  When I mentioned it to the driver, he said, "This is my office, I spend all day in it.  It might as well be comfortable and clean, right?"

When all is said and done, judging a person by his/her car can be misleading.

So true, Dick.
My job involves repairing Mercedes and BMW cars.
Many people with 80K cars call and ask how much $ for an oil change. And wince at the answer. ($100-120).
Others with $5-10K cars drop the keys on the counter and say "fix whatever you find, call me when it's done."
Some of these folks have been customers for over 15-20 years.
Any guesses as to which group is "better off?"

We make it a point not to judge the customer, or even the car.
More than once, we have gotten a car in, written up a huge estimate, and after calling the customer to tell him what we found, sold repairs easily equaling the value of the car.

I am far from impressed with fancy cars. Drive em every day.  Ho hum. My car is 18 years old, with 140K miles. I would drive it across the country tomorrow.  I am routinely annoyed by folks who bought a fancy car, assuming it would cost the same to own as a Camry.
No slam on the Camry, fine car.
If I couldn't own a Mercedes for next to nothing, I would own a Camry.

To sum up,
I don't want a dentist, a doctor, or a CP with a broke down, hooptie of a car.
I don't want one with bad teeth, poor personal hygiene, bad table manners, or a tendency to
utter profanities.
I'd like "my guy"(or gal) to be successful. If that means a flashy car for him, great.
My financial planner drives a 97 Camry with  179K miles. He knows his stuff.
His car is clean, safe and comfortable. No one looks askance at  him for his car.
In either a positive or negative way. I have every reason to believe he is rich as sin.

Had a customer who was a South Texas rancher, real estate developer, plus, plus.
The guy oozed money. but was the most relaxed, friendly guy you ever met.

He came to town, in his coveralls, and went to 3 Mercedes dealers before a salesman would approach him.
The first salesman to walk up to him, after 2 unsuccessful stops, asked if he could help.
My customer pointed at 2 models, and said, "I would like one of each of these, in blue."
He wrote a check, and his farm hand helped him drive the cars home.