teo

« on: May 23, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:01:19 PM by teo »

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: My CP's $100,000 Lexus
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
how much much do CP's make? From the look of it, more than me. My CP (from what I remember) drives a 7 year old mid-sized car.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:14:46 PM »
My cp drives a new, flashy looking full size hummer. I am sure he makes good money, but I think he earns every penny and deserves good compensation Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:46:51 AM »
TEO, i don't think it is the case of not  how much money one makes and in more what kind of impression you want to make on your friends and family, i will bet that if one was able to really check him out that he is up to dept above his ears and is living from paycheck to paycheck and his wife is also working.
I have had four differant CPO'S  since i lost my legs in 2002 and none of them drove a big fancy car, the one i have now drives a three year old car and has over 100,000 miles on it because she make house calls, plus all the other bills she has to pay by owning her own business. I love her work that is why i use here not by what she drives or how fancy of an office that she has (which she doesn't have, it is nice but not fancy)
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dave 08

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »
Looked up salaries on the web and the salaries for a Prosthetist in the U.S. are:
 $49,814   Start
$63,036    Median
$72,453    75%
Dave

Offline dotson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 04:21:51 PM »
I couldn't care less what kind of car anybody drives.  I'm just interested in getting a good set of legs.  As the old saying goes "different strokes for different folks".  Some people work for what they get and some are well off through inheritance.  Who cares?

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 06:47:40 PM »

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »
Hey Teo:

If you're driving a $60K Mercedes, that's not exactly chopped liver, mate.

And consider the fact that your CP was there when you needed him for that emergency repair so you could travel.

Sounds like your life ain't too shabby, so what's the big complaint?

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

teo

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
Dick, I am not complaining and I am not jealous.  ^^

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »
Dick, I am not complaining and I am not jealous.  ^^

Yeah right... so when you chose your career, you would have picked a different one if it meant in a few years time you could afford to drive a $100k car instead of a $100k one.... shallow?

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 12:40:05 PM »
And whatever you drive, DON'T bring your big car to the UK.

Petrol here has just hit around $12 a gallon. (And even our gallons are smaller than yours!)

Allen.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 11:26:12 PM »
I have never understood the obsession people have with cars. Surely their purpose is to get you from a to b in one piece. That's it. Why spend a load of money on something that is only going to lose value and that will look crap in a few years anyway.

Prosthetists don't get paid a lot in the UK Teo, and I don't think that money motivates a lot of them. I also think its a bit sad that you are jealous of what car your prosthetist uses (and why are you bringing it up if you're not jealous?). If he can make good legs and get paid well for what he does then good on him. He has obviously excelled in the career he has chosen and surely that is the most important thing.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:48:07 PM »
I know that profit margin for prosthetic is very high.  C-leg costs around $12,000 wholesale but they bill insurance company $45k.  It's a fat business.   

Most health insurance companies have contracted rates so they will only pay a predetermined amount.
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 03:42:17 PM »
I agree with Fiona.  If it didn't make you jealous, you wouldn't have mentioned it.  And if you weren't hung up on such things, you wouldn't have casually thrown in that you drive a $60K Mercedes.8)  Hey, maybe "D" has just made some good investments?  Anyway, whatever "D" (or "E") has is totally irrelevant to his "worth" as a prosthetist.  I know this because I have many years of experience as an amputee, something you have not.

Most prosthetists do not choose their career based on how much money it pays.  There are other factors that go into their decision making.   They actually enjoy what they are doing and are making a difference in people's lives.  Can't get any richer than that in my opinion. And they aren't all 9-5ers either. My CP and his team work long and hard days and most weekends because they are passionate about what they do.

Oh, and re what you said about buying a C-Leg for $12k (wrong!) and billing for $45K, well that's just ridiculous.  ::) You're low on the C-leg cost and $45K is the billing price of a high-end "bells and whistles" prosthesis, complete with state of the art socket, C-leg and foot components.  And what they bill and what insurance pays is a very different amount. You should do your research and get your facts straight before making statements like that.

"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."