Author Topic: This is hilarious....  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Fi

• View Profile
This is hilarious....
« on: May 27, 2008, 01:27:01 AM »

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: This is hilarious....
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 06:29:22 AM »
That is backward thinking on their part. I would think of it as a form of bigotry. "A patronising or condescending attitude will be easily sensed by them..." like it wouldn't be with others? Maybe these Olympics will change some thinking over there!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:47:05 AM »
I really really hate to say it but having lived here for a year now I doubt it. Racism, sexism and disabilityism is ingrained in traditional Chinese/ Asian culture.

Hong Kong is in no way as bad as mainland China but even here I have had people asking my personal trainer about whether I lost my leg through some sort of disease and is it catching!!

Also my husband was telling me the other day about an interview he had to take with a lady accountant to replace him at work (he is being promoted). She was apparently about 35 and married, and the Chinese lady who was interviewing with my husband asked the interviewee right out whether she was planning on having children in the near future. My husband said that he couldn't believe his ears and after the interview told his colleague that she'd be in serious trouble if she asked that type of question in the UK.

Also, when I was teaching in Japan after university the last person the leave the office was always the tea lady (and the tea person was always a lady) because, get this, she wasn't allowed to leave until the most senior person in the school (the head - always a man), left too. This was frequently 10 or 11 at night, and school started at 7.30 every morning. Crazyness.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:02:51 AM »
I have a sister that was in the Peace Corp in Nepal for a few years teaching Maths. She was the brunt of some sexism for from her male counterparts. They just couldn't think of her on the same playing field as themselves.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 07:31:31 AM »
I have a sister that was in the Peace Corp in Nepal for a few years teaching Maths. She was the brunt of some sexism for from her male counterparts. They just couldn't think of her on the same playing field as themselves.

errrr. yeah, so what's your point? ;D

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »
I really really hate to say it but having lived here for a year now I doubt it. Racism, sexism and disabilityism is ingrained in traditional Chinese/ Asian culture.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:02:29 PM »

Heard of irony Steve?

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:48:22 PM »
Do you mean when you take a hot thing and press it on a shirt? I thought that was ironing...