Author Topic: how do i delete my account  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Tigertatts

• View Profile
Re: how do i delete my account
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 01:59:42 AM »
If forced to deal with the ads then I too will follow Jeff, There's other amputee forums out there that don't have ads. Michael would be foolish to force the issue, google add words only brings in 100-200 dollars a year if your really lucky , why risk loosing all your members over small change.

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 03:20:28 AM »
Just use Firefox with the adblock plus addon, no add's for me on any site now :)

jmoore

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 06:54:58 AM »
i am glad some other people fell like i do how does firefox block ads that are on the forum? i am not trying to be a pain just speaking what i feel about the ads thats all take care jeff

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
Web advertising that sits there blinking and flashing and bouncing, making noise, competing for my attention, crowding out the actual information I want...that's a great way to get me to leave a site and never return.  If this site becomes impossible to view without disruptive advertising, I won't be coming back.  That would suck, because I've learned a lot and enjoyed hanging around so far....

Offline Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »
Yo guys!
Cool your jets just a minute!  If you don't like the talking ad it can be changed, but the website is still a work in progress and frankly I am working alone this week and may not get to it for a few days.  This website is not all I have to do all day.  Some of you folks who seem to be a little mad have been with us for a long time, I hope you stay.  But for heavens sake be easy on me for just a little while.  Where the hell is Joe A. when you need him.....

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »
Micheal, have had a chance to call and find out how JOE A, is will try tonight.

Having a big family meeting tonight and some feeling are gonna get hurt so dont know if i will be able to call or be in the mood to make a call like that.
But will do my best.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »
I have never seen an ad here on the site. I don't know why, maybe I'm special. I do frequent sites that do have those ads and all though I don't really like them I don't let them put me off. They are not why I go to the site and why I go, is what keeps me coming back.

The way I see it is that Michael puts on the site for us. The site costs money and if a ad or two helps than I don't give a toss if I were to see an ad. If Michael was Otto Bock or Hanger then they would have money (and even more importantly...time) to burn and could have a crack squad of website ninjas to keep the site ad free etc. I don't know why I don't see any ads but I'm staying even if I did.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »
Hi Steve - the forum has a new address that they want us to use that does have the ads. Right now there are 2 address you can use to access the forum. Here is the new address  http://www.amputee-center.com/forum.html
try it out. At some point soon the address that you have been using will no longer work. herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 07:09:48 AM »
Now I see the ads people have been talking about.
I don't get any talking ones but I did get a prompt that told me I didn't have a certain plugin for the content containing MIME format (whatever that means).
I have blank space on the right, the forum is a bit compressed in the middle and there is a space for ads on the left. The top ad is a '?' and is not showing, the second ad is a Amputee Treatment Center ad, and the 'Ads by Google' ad has three ads within.
The strange thing is the 'Ads by Google' ads.
The first one is Amputee Dating

Amputee Dating
Meet Others Affected by Amputation. Find Your Lovebyrd!
www.Lovebyrd.com/dating

the second one is disaboom.com and offers support

Amputee
Find Help and Support Within the Disaboom Community
www.Disaboom.com

the third one seems a bit dodgy.

Date An Amputee Woman Now
Date An Amputee Woman Near You. Mail, SMS, Voice, Video. Join FREE!
www.AmputeeDate.com

this one doesn't nessessarily seems to be for amps, but rather for anyone craving one. Devotee? Fetish? hmmmm fairly dodgy.

In short, I see the ads and I'm staying. I would ask if Michael knows about the pervy ad, I doubt he does.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »
Steve, what theme page are you using so that i can go there and check it out for Gary and Micheal.  I have ads by GOOGLE also but here is what i have

CARBON FIBER AFO"S BRACES
www.ordesignlv.com

THE PROSTHETIC ARM EXPERT
www.biodesigns.com

AMPUTEE SUPPLIES DIRECT
amputeesupplies.com/amputee+store

Plus having a vidio on top which i turn off as soon as the site comes up
also there is an ad for micheal office,

but now dating ads at all
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »
J-

My theme is 'amber', its brown and looks a bit like smoke. I wonder if it matter where I live. Maybe the ads change depending on location.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 02:05:45 PM »
'steve'

My theme page is mountains & reads "THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED"  and like you I have the same page with the same ads by Google you named and nothing more.

Weird, huh!

;)
ann

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »
Well, folks.  My first peek at the ad-filled version.  Not at convenient, but I figure I can work around it.  We'll see.

Why do different members see different ads?  I think you'll discover Google keeps track of various members' traffic and interests and locations, etc., and tailors the ads to each.  Spooky, eh?   Some of the ads we may ALL receive, others may be selective.

Example, I'm also interested in photography, so I may receive some photo-related ads.  If you're into golf, you may get golf ads.  And so on.  Steve, located in Ireland may get different ads than me, loceted in PA.

Bottom line:  Google and Yahoo and such outlits make their money on the ads. 

This is my experience.  Let me know if I'm off-base, Michael. 
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 06:44:23 PM »

Dick,
that isn't good news for me then. Google gives me dating sites. My girlfriend is away for a weeks holidays with her neice, maybe Google knows something I don't know... ???

Offline dotson

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »
 Michael, I appreciate you having this site, and I know it cost money.  A few ads to help pay the bill is O.K. with me.