Author Topic: pump it up air device for socket and volume change  (Read 9245 times)

snowbear

Re: pump it up air device for socket and volume change
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »
Its called the flexable liner and like I said it slips over you liner.

I only work 4.0 hours. 8:30 -12:30 perfect hours for me and juts enough on my leg..But I still have to keep up my house work and laundry ect....you  know! :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »
Sound like something i need to talk to my CPO about the next time i go in, planning on getting a new set of legs next year, have already picked out the feet i want and that is OSSUR'S TALUX.

Snowbear, will trade you jobs, just got through mowing my yard and it take me 1 1/2 and anotlher 2 hours just to do the front and side yard, thank god my pool takes up all of the back yard  and that is using a 42" tractor mower on the front,

Sounds like you and i have read before that you really enjoy working with children, Have a nice summer off and have fun,
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 08:10:33 PM »
The liner is made from a cast off  made from the scan of my stump. I hope this is understandable for you guy's.

snowbear

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 08:12:15 PM »
Sound like something i need to talk to my CPO about the next time i go in, planning on getting a new set of legs next year, have already picked out the feet i want and that is OSSUR'S TALUX.

Snowbear, will trade you jobs, just got through mowing my yard and it take me 1 1/2 and anotlher 2 hours just to do the front and side yard, thank god my pool takes up all of the back yard  and that is using a 42" tractor mower on the front,

Sounds like you and i have read before that you really enjoy working with children, Have a nice summer off and have fun,

I adore children very much..They make my day...!

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 07:23:11 PM »
prosthetists are a bit reluctant 2 use the pump up device as it is quite complex 2 manufacture into a socket....

... in certain cases (e.g. alot of volume fluctuation) it is a cracking idea which works really well (especially if you have a suction socket)

If you don't have a suction socket, then adding more socks is the way forward!

snowbear

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »
Your right about the pump it up device...I have choose not to go for it..As it may create other unwanted problems. But when you get to a point where adding to many socks is  problem say over 7 that is not good.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »
Hi Snowbear,

do you fluctuate from 1-7 socks? or do you use between say 4-7?

if you change from 1-7 socks, then you do have alot of fluctuation - there could be a reason for this (e.g. some medications cause fluid retention)

If you vary between say 4-7 socks then the socket is probably too large for your stump

are you a new amputee? its not uncommon for new amputees to have changing stump volume

snowbear

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 07:37:37 PM »
Hi Chry, Yes I change allot..I take no meds at all. Some days it worse than others..The hot and cool weather also has allot to with it..many amps can't get into their legs on really hot humid days...Also sometimes air conditioning can cause change too.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 11:28:25 AM »
wow, didn't realize about the air-con thing....
if temperature regulation could be causing a volume change you could try a cooler type of sock

Hood make a Cool Sock which has a larger weave and helps to get more air circulating to the stump - they do a range of thicknesses too; Kingsley supply them i think

snowbear

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »
Thanks for the info!!