Author Topic: pump it up air device for socket and volume change  (Read 9221 times)

snowbear

pump it up air device for socket and volume change
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
Has anyone ever tried or heard of a pump it up device for a regular socket? I don't mean the pump it up socket! I change volume a lot throughout the day. I'm having a new socket made as I shrunk 1" and have changed shape. My prosthetist suggested a pump it up pad. That will be in the socket and I would have small hand held pump that I insert in the pad and  act s like a bladder and air is sent into the socket, rather than add socks every 20 -30 minutes. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and how you like it. Thanks for any comments or replies!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: pump it up air device for socket and volume change
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:29:44 AM »
Snowbear, sounds interesting, if you can get the manufactures name and if they have a web site, sound like it is something that i could use for a lot of times i am where i cant add or subtract socks.

you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »
Has anyone ever tried or heard of a pump it up device for a regular socket? I don't mean the pump it up socket! I change volume a lot throughout the day. I'm having a new socket made as I shrunk 1" and have changed shape. My prosthetist suggested a pump it up pad. That will be in the socket and I would have small hand held pump that I insert in the pad and  act s like a bladder and air is sent into the socket, rather than add socks every 20 -30 minutes. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and how you like it. Thanks for any comments or replies!

'snowbear' isn't that what Michael Love has advertised or is this something different.  Have you played his {pump it up} ad?  I found it to be quite interesting.

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:49:32 PM »
Hi Pegleg and Ann!

I will find out  more information Thursday when I go back for My socket..Its a Little flat "bladder" that fills with air when you pump it up with a little tube and  small hand held pump...I hope this works adding socks every 20 minutes drives me nuts and Its hard to leave the classroom that often. It sounds good I will certainly keep you posted! thanks for the replays!!

Offline billf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
Indeed be cautious.  Adding pressure locations inside the socket could affect blood flow and may appear to solve one problem while slowly and silently causing another.

Look forward to hearing how the concept works for you.

Weasel

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »
Bilfff, Thanks for the info I'm not totally sure if I will choose this yet. I'm still thinking about it. But thanks for the advice.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.amputee-center.com/pump_it_up.html
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

snowbear

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 04:01:43 PM »
No its the the pump it up socket..I use the pin lock and my prosthetist said he can put this device in the socket. I do not know the name of it but will find more information out on Thursday...I'm not real sure if I will choose this. I don't want to create another problem! Thanks for the information Steve!

snowbear

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »
OK Fellow amps, I went to the prothetist today and have my new socket..Ordered the skin, And decided not to go with the...Pneu Fit pump. I think I will just wait and see what happens with the new socket..But the device I was speaking of is called the Pneu Fit....It made to fit in any socket..My prostheist did say they discontinued it but if I rally want to try it he could do something for me..I'll pas for now!

snowbear

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:56:17 PM »
I have decided to go with the flexable liner..So far it OK...A little tight tough has anyone had success with this?

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »
'snowbear'

Haven't heard of the flexable liner.  Who makes it...maybe we could check it out on the web~site.

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »
Ann, It a whit liner that my prosthetist made..It fits over the liner in place of socks..Its a commmon thing amputees use.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 07:01:54 AM »
'snowbear'  you know it sounds great to me.  I also have alot of trouble keeping my prosthesis from slipping & have to add socks. If you can make the socket tighter without adding more socks {that would be good}.

Be sure to let us know how you're doing.

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »
Hi Ann! It is working OK for me. I think it would be worth a try for you..Ask your prosthetist about it..It slips right over your liner. I'm going through a new socket change as I have shrunk 1" and changed shape..I have a TON of pain due to the fact that I had much pain before the amputation and unfortunately the more pain a amputee has before amputation the more they suffer after! >:( I'm going through a major change all of a sudden it can make you nuts if you let it! Thanks for asking it really takes another amputee to understand where we are comming from!

Hugs!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
Yep!! snowbear, you certainly got that right.  I think I will talk to him about it although I would imagine he will be the last to hear of it. ??? ???

You not working today...or are you already out of school.

;)
ann