Author Topic: Will I be able to handle the hills in San Francisco?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
Will I be able to handle the hills in San Francisco?
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:46:54 PM »
I have to be in San Francisco two times this summer and will have about 4-5 days there each time.  I looked up some of the city tour reviews and see that quite a few of them involve a fair bit of walking or getting off and on tour buses and walking around.  The Alcatraz review says that it is a steep walk up to the cell block building.  Am I kidding myself that an amputee could walk some of those hills?

anne

Offline Fi

• View Profile
Re: Will I be able to handle the hills in San Francisco?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »
Hi Anne,

Not at all - as you know I live in HK which is built on a very steep mountain. It takes a bit of getting used to but it is actually quite easy to get up steep hills. The best way I have found to do it is to walk up the hills using only the toe of your prosthetic foot (ie. with your knee bent the whole time and using the bounce of the foot to propel you forward). I actually find that walking on my foot like that makes it easier for me to get up the hills than if I had two proper feet.

If I am completely honest it's the walking downhill that I find difficult. The driveway to our apartment block is a very steep hill and I have to walk down it every morning to get to work. Granted I have to do it in high heels so it is more difficult to walk down than in flat shoes but it takes me ages, feels really precarious, and I hate it. Even in flats I hate walking downhill. The best way I have found to do it is on really steep hills to kind of sidestep, and to take it really really slowly. Also if I go hiking I take walking sticks - I find them a godsend for going downhill as they take the weight off the front of the tibia which is what hurts me going downhill and they also give you balance.

So in conclusion - have a go at the toe walking thing uphill, and use sticks or sidestep for downhill. But the hills will most definitely be doable and try not to be too worried about them. Also if the worst comes to the worst and you get to the hill and really don't feel like you can do it then you will surely be able to get some form of public transport to where you want to go. I think really the main thing is not to worry too much about these sorts of problems before you are faced with them because when you are actually faced with them you will always figure out a way to deal with them.

Enjoy San Francisco - I hear it's a great city.

Fi

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:40:40 PM »
Hi Anne, I've visited San Francisco on several occasions. Being a BAK, the hills are formidable to me and what I did was use cabs to get from point A to point B. I also used my wheelchair... obviously with help up the hills. Not everything in SF is on a hill. I was always there on business and the tourist sites were visited after hours and weekends. There are lots of things to do that are on level ground, but the prettiest parts of the city are on the hills! Have fun, it's a great city... wish I was still working and could visit again.
Peter
BAK since '74

snowbear

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »
Have a wonderful time and tell us all about it..I have never been!

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:50:15 PM »
Hi Anne - I have been to San Francisco numerous times and have always been able to get around pretty well. Not all of the city is that hilly. I do not know where you are from but it is not much  worse than Seattle or Pittsburg. I do remember seeing lots of signs telling you to turn your front tire up against the curb to avoid run away cars. I did not see any hills worse than I deal with daily in New Hampshire. Maybe you could do some practice hill climbing before your trip to build up your muscles. Enjoy your trip. Be sure to go to the golden gate park and see the Japanese garden and all the unusual trees. Herb

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  Herb, I live in the middle of the bald headed prairie,not many hills around here lol.

Anne

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:43:09 AM »
Hi Anne
Haven't been to San Francisco, but I am bilateral and hills are not generally too much of a problem, you just need to alter your body position when going up or down.  I usually find going up far easier than going down, the side stepping someone else suggested is useful on steep downward hills, especially if the surface is wet, I also find it easier to lean back a little.