Author Topic: How do I solve this problem?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
How do I solve this problem?
« on: April 28, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »
I am in a brand new socket (approx 1 month) and as per my usual pattern I left the office with a 1 ply and a nylon and am already up to a 2 ply and a nylon.  I am having intense pressure pushing  back on my knee cap and when I take the socket off, my kneecap is red and has a swollen "knob" on it which seems to go back to normal overnight.  I figure it is happening  because I am too far into the socket but when I try to add a sock my liner pinches the heck out of the bottom of my limb.  I have tried to cut the top off of a sock and just wear that around the knee area but that feels way to tight as well.  I need to figure out how to keep my knee out of the socket but without adding socks as the socket seems to be fitting real well on the actual stump.  Do you think it would work if I cut a circular doughnut shape pad out of one of my old alpha liners and put it in the bottom of the socket, maybe it would give me enough lift, or is it likely to get in the way of my pin hole.

I have an appointment with my guy later in the week but meanwhile I am very uncomfortable.

anne

snowbear

Re: How do I solve this problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:18:41 AM »
I know what yo mean...Maybe your leg guy could pad the socket to hold up your knee?

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 07:24:29 AM »
Hi Anne - I think you should call your prosthetist this morning and insist that he or she fix the problem today, not later in the week. It sounds like your new socket is not right and should be fixed by your prosthetist immediately. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:39:04 AM »
Anne, you need to have your CPO cut your socket back, sound like it is made to high in that area, and needs to be trimed just a bit, and when mine start to do that i know that it is time to add more socks to that leg, on one of my sockets that i had made when living in calif, thats what they had to do and it only took one time and after that everything was okay, and if my mind has left me i think i had to have some cut back on my last sockets. And if it isnt cut back or you have to add sock it can be real painfull especially on the knee cap, how is it when you sit down, does it pinch you behind your knee if so that will need to be adjusted also, have one that was doing that to me and have had to grind and sand it until it stopped, BUT i dont recomend that eveyone start grinding or cutting on there sockect unless they feel secure in doing it and thier CPO agrees, mind does cause she knows that i know what i am doing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:40:53 AM by pegleg jack »
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »

Hi "anne" ~ I also agree with PegLeg.  Also have had that problem & the socket was coming up too high and blocked my knee.

Does it keep you from walking correctly?  Agree with Herb about calling your prosthetist & going in immediately.   ;) ann

Offline Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:26:53 AM »
Anne,
You need a Pump-It-Up socket then you can adjust the fit of your socket with air.

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
Well might appointment was bumped up to today so I should get some relief.  It's weird that I am having this problem as the socket actually feels really good, it's possible I guess that my limb size is fluctuating a lot allowing the socket to fit one minute and be too snug the next, that's the only thing I can think of.

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
Anne,
I have had the same problem with my new socket. To help the problem, my leg guy changed the alignment of the leg to the socket for a better walk and to reduce the knee rubbing the top front of the socket.
We also added a pad in that area.

Dave S
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:12:02 PM »
I had this problem with a couple sockets early on because the end of my stump was shrinking UP towards my knee.  So I had a pad at the bottom of my socket, between that and trimming the top of the socket, we got the problem solved.  Long term I did need another socket, the first 2 years I went through sockets real often.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+