Author Topic: Amps in the News  (Read 7074 times)

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Amps in the News
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:08:10 PM »

"steve"  was she born that way or was she in an accident that took her leg?  She looks like such a sweetie.

;)  ann

teo

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Steve.  Pictures of your dog gives me this warm feeling.  I am glad to hear your dog had a wonderful weekend. ^^   

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47:59 AM »
Millie was born named 'Lady' (I changed it when I got her) and she had all four legs. She was living in Galway city I believe and was hit by a car when she was around 8 months old. Her then owners didn't want a handicapped dog and gave her up to the GSPCA. She had one amputation but had to go back to take it all off as she was hitting it on things. I was looking for a dog anyway so when I saw their ad in the paper I called the GSPCA (Galway Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and met with the warden and eventually got Millie.
I'm sure Freud would have a field day as to why I got Millie. I don't know why myself. I was single when I got her (I am dating now) maybe I saw myself as her and didn't like the fact she was dismissed so out of hand, not that I ever was. Maybe in some bizarre way, to validate myself and to make my disability not important to others as I sometimes feared it might be in the dating scene... I had to validate her and basically not see her disability as a factor to loving her, which it wasn't. hmmm deep stuff. (and so you know me and Millie are NOT dating! ha ha)

A few more last pictures of Millie.

(Millie and my then kitten 'Ray'. Ray and his sister Amy would sleep with Millie in her bed. Crazy)

(Millie enjoying watching me work)

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

teo

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »
Picture of Millie gives me this warm, calm, peace (?) I don't know what to call it.  This cozy feeling I can't really describe.  Again, thank you Steve for Millie's pictures.  ^^

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

snowbear

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 03:50:35 PM »
Millie is so sweet!

snowbear

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 10:25:24 AM »
My dog lost his left eye to cancer the same time I lost my left leg to a bone infection..My husband is the only one with all of his parts!! :)

Offline Dave 08

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »
Toe and foot prints are as unique as finger and hand prints. Many people have went to jail based on toe/footprints. Should'nt they already know this?? Seems like a simple answer to the ID problem.
 Yes, I know.....Simple and government do not blend well.
Dave

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »
LOL, there r loads of Amputee pets... didn't Ossur make a Flex Foot for a horse a few years back!!!

snowbear

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »
Awwww thanks for sharing so cute...Did anyone see the dolphin on Good Morning America today? her back tail was missing and they were able to make her a prosthetic one! Very interesting..

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »
Hi - About 15 years ago I had a golden retriever who had cancer and had to get one of his front legs amputated. He did well for two years, running and swimming with almost  no problems till his cancer showed up in his lungs. He did better as an amputee than one of my current golden retrievers is doing right now with all his limbs. The vet can not figure out why he is losing all his strength and just wants to lay around. He can not get up on my wooden floors and I have to lift him up the stairs and into the car. He seems to have lost all control of his rear legs but seems to be as happy and lovable as ever. The vet keeps giving new pills and hopes one will work. Herb

snowbear

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »
Oh gee I hope the medication works...Dogs rule! they are so awesome..My dog had cancer too and lost his left eye..Ironically 2 months after I lost my left leg...Rusty dose well with one eye he still bumps into things occasionally.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
That reminds me of my friend's dog named Keller (as in Hellen) who was deaf and slightly blind.  She would run away to the kennel where they put her when they had to go away.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

snowbear

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »
Actually Jack! Rusty is deaf too we lovingly call him Helen! LOL!!