Author Topic: What is the longest you have spent walking on a test socket?  (Read 5481 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Re: What is the longest you have spent walking on a test socket?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »
Hi Dick.  Thanks for your description of the terms.  I think my previous post may have caused some confusion.  My prosthetist used the terms test socket and temporary socket interchangeably.  If a test socket is soft, I never had one. 

The sockets that I had were made from a clear plastic that were hard but had the potential to break if I wasn't careful with the prosthesis.  To make the socket stronger, my prosthetist would wrap the outside of the socket with a roll of fiberglass casting tape.  The socket was heat moldable so when it needed to be adjusted he would remove the casting tape and reshape the socket.  This process continued until I received my definitive socket.

I'm sorry if my previous post caused any confusion.  I assumed that when my prosthetist interchanged the words test socket and temporary socket that they were the same thing.  Dick, thanks for pointing out the differences. 

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »
This is what my socket looked like.....

The blue color is the casting tape
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »
About 6 months for me..It all depends on how well it feels and how many adjustments you need.

snowbear

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 10:22:56 AM »
Your milage may very!! ;D :)

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »
RE: Allen-UK

2 right! life would be so much easier if ppl could take check sockets home 4 a week 2 try!!

Temporary prostheses on the other hand are used when someone first starts their rehab, and r (usually) only made definitive when stump volume is stable (which can be 3 months to 3 years!)

snowbear

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 07:26:55 PM »
Test sockets are not made to be used for a long time they are not as durable as the permenate socket..how Long a person uses one depends on many factors..the pressure points, adjustments and just to see if it will work before the permante one is made.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 09:19:29 AM »
I dont know how you guys rate taking your test socket home with you, i have had three pairs now and never got to get out the CPO'S office with them because they had thier adjustment plate molded into it and all i got do was walk up and down a hall to see if the alignment was right and their was no tight spots or real loose area that need to be worked on, and then about a week later i would go in and get my legs and the socket would be made of carbon fiber and fiberglass.

Next month i will need a lot of rework done on the ones i am wearing. need to fill in where we ground out tho relieve the pressure where those bone spur are. I know that i am going to have a real lose spot on my left socket, because i have ground out a lot of the socket just so that i could walk and get thing done that need to be done
you-all have a great day.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 06:05:24 PM »
Here in Canada, at least with my prosthetist shop, I was given multiple transparent temporary sockets to try at home until I had a satisfactory fit. As I was losing weight during this period, I used several temporary sockets over a period of a several months. My prostetist said that with the new material available, sending clients home with temporary sockets was no longer a problem.
Peter
BAK since '74