Author Topic: What is the longest you have spent walking on a test socket?  (Read 5482 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
I recently spent 4 months on a test socket because my limb just keeps atrophying and we can't seem to get a definitive fit for any length of time.

anne

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: What is the longest you have spent walking on a test socket?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:43:32 AM »
I was in a pair of them for a week, once.  But I had to be careful, because they aren't as sturdy as the final product.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 03:54:38 AM »
Might just be the transatlantic semantics here, but in the UK we wouldn't be allowed out of the fitting room in a test socket!

They are transparent and a bit flimsy, and have a foot attached to them (i.e. not your usual foot), and the prosthetists just use them to see how the socket seems to fit inside them.

Once you've walked a yard or two, they mark them for adjustments, then usually you get a proper socket in a week or so, which you then walk home with (hopefully).

Sometimes these 'proper' sockets function as test sockets in that after a month or so they get ditched or radically remade.

Allen.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:33:23 AM »
Anne f. have spent maybe a total of about 10 minutes all together on all of my temp or fitting sockets and have never wore them out side the CPO'S shop.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:47:29 AM »
Hi Anne - I have had numerous legs made and have never gone out of the prosthetist's office with a test socket. I try it on, they check it for fit, make a few marks where it needs adjustments, they make the changes within a few  minutes, and the next day I go home with my completed socket/leg. Herb

jmoore

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:18:55 AM »
hi anne i had one for about a month and a half what they did was wrap in fiber glass after they made sure it fit right i was like you i coud not keep volume kept shrinking allen i had my c-leg with my check socket

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »
Hi Anne,

I had my test socket(s) for a year before my first definitive socket was made.  I kept losing volume so my CP couldn't make a definitive socket.  I had almost a dozen test sockets.  The socket was wrapped with fiberglass casting tape so that it wouldn't break if it tipped over or was dropped when I didn't have it on.  It was nice to have the test socket because I could wear it home and determine where it needed to be adjusted.  The CP would cut the casting tape off it, heat it and reshape it and then put another roll of casting tape on it until my next appointment.  When I lost a lot of volume he made a new test socket.  I also had a couple of test sockets that were painful so he elected to make a new test socket rather than try and modify it.  The test sockets were also set up with my final foot selection so it was very easy for me to walk.  I wore the last test socket for a month to be sure that it fit perfectly and that I wasn't losing any more volume.  The result was an excellent fitting definitive socket.  I have not had to have my definitive socket modified in any way.  Other than the inconvenience of seeing my CP on a weekly basis, the test sockets worked out well.  My insurance would pay for multiple test sockets but they would not pay for several carbon fiber sockets so this may also be why I spent a long time in test sockets.

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline Fi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:08:53 AM »
Hi Ann,

I had a 6 month wait for a permanent socket once. The prosthetist just couldn't get the various test sockets right. It was worth the wait though. I still have the leg she made now 2 years later.

Keep on trying. You will get there in the end.

Allen - they do let you take away test sockets on the NHS - you just have to ask them and they will make the test in a hardier material than they would normally do.

F

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
"anne" I always know when getting a new test socket it will be three to four months.. .they are really slow.  This last time it was almost a year wearing one.  {My prosthetist}   will never try anything different.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 10:34:29 AM »
Let's start off with the disclaimer that everyone says I'm not typical. 

As soon as any socket is made, I start to shrink.  I'd shrink 15 ply of socks in about two weeks.  So with my last leg, my CP put me in a test socket for a month.  By then I was at 20 ply.  We made a new test socket from a new casting and after a month I was at 18 ply.  We did a third test socket and after about 5 weeks or so I was at 18 ply again.  He made a fourth test socket which I wore for a week and had almost not shrinking.  We made the final socket from this.  It's been almost 2 years and I'm still in that socket and I still fit in with a very snug fit.

I think part of the problem with my stump shrinking so much was that I was at about 2 1/2 years from the amp.  I think (my personal opinion) is it takes several years to get all the shrinking done.  Now that I'm at the 5 year mark, I don't think I'll have so much trouble with getting a new socket that fits without all the shrinking.  But I could be wrong.  I'll find out, I'm probably going to get a new leg this summer.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »
JCLARK, You are not a typical person, you are the first on that i have come acrossed that has shrunk that much and that fast, hopefully that you have finally got down as far as you are going.

Am going on 6 years now and i haven't shrunk much in the last year or so, wear just my liner on my right leg and a 3 ply on my left one and it has been this way for over a year.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 04:32:10 PM »
Ann, Anne and FI, i must be a wriedo cause from the time that i am fitted with a tests socket to the time i get my what you might call permant socket has never been more that about 5 days and i didnot get to wear the test socket cause they always had the adjustment plate attached to it, although we did mark it up with a red marker showing where the tight spot were at.  ;D

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 10:14:12 PM »
Yeah, I know I'm not normal!  :)  But I'm ok with that.  ha ha.

If I shrink with every new socket like I did the first couple years, by 10 years as an amputee, I'd have a pencil for a stump.  I think I had so much shrinking to do those first few years because my calf muscle was about 19" around and all muscle.  So I had lots of muscle that needed to atrophy down to nothing.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 03:55:06 AM »
To sort out the terms:

a Test Socket is that soft transparent plastic socket that (in my experience) rarely ever leaves the CP's office.  One that they can soften with a heat gun and reshape.  I find this Test Socket is on and off my leg several times in a fitting session.

a Tempotary Socket is one that is meant to wear home and use, but likely for a short time becuase of initial stump shrunkage.  Likely to be replaced after a few months.

a Definitive Socket is the so-called final product that is intended to last a relatively long time - made of full-strength materials.

some call it a Permanent Socket, but as we all know, nothing is truly permeanent in this world.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 08:53:18 AM »
Dick, that was one well put answer and it seems to fall in just the way they make my legs. My last pair of sockets were made last year and havent had to have much work done on them, the right one i have had to do some grinding on it to relieve where i have a massive bone spur growing. And i am having that taken care of this month hopefully. if not then i am going to have to have a new socket made where there is a opening in that area to relieve the pressure on the bone spur.