Author Topic: How do the silicone skin covers hold up to the friction?  (Read 1204 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
How do the silicone skin covers hold up to the friction?
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:26:22 PM »
I notice that when I wear a sock in the shoe on my prosthetic foot that it basically disintegrates on the ball of the foot due to the friction of the sock rubbing back and forth as I walk over the ball of my foot.  What I am wondering is how the silicone skin covers hold up to the same friction?  Also if you wear the silicone skin and have a pair of sandals on without socks, does the silicone skin make a squeaky type noise from the foot rubbing against the sandal?  I would really like to switch it up from the basic foam cover.  I especially hate the crack running around the ankle where the foam transitions into the foot shell.   I am very self conscious of the ugly crack when wearing sandals with bare feet.

anne

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do the silicone skin covers hold up to the friction?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:03:53 PM »
Anne f. i have had the same silicone covers on my COLLEGE PARK FEET now going on three years and have worn out around five pairs of socks from friction, and they show no wear what so ever. Silicone is made to be slick and material will slide on it easier than other materials.

As for the squeaking noise on your sandals, you might try and rub the inside with qoose grease, the type that is used for waterproving shoes that may help other than that i am lost.

They can seal that crack that you are talking about, but every time you need adjustment on your foot it will have to be cut open, and after cutting it about three or four time it really get ugly down there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:08:22 PM by pegleg jack »
you-all have a great day.